Records (such as correspondences, deeds) generated by the French administration during its first decade (1721-1731) were initially located in a lodge at Vieux Grand Port. Subsequently they were shifted to Port Louis and were kept in a small building where the Provincial Council used to assemble.
In February 1731, the building was badly damaged in a cyclone leading to the loss of most of the records. When Mahé de Labourdonnais completed the construction of a new building in 1736 for the Superior Council – (presently the Government House in Port Louis), all the records were then transferred and kept in a room there. The largest part of records produced continued to be kept there until 1810.