Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
National Archives Department Under the aegis of Ministry of Arts and Cultural Heritage


About the National Archives

How can I access these records?

You may visit the National Archives in person to conduct your research. Our staff will provide guidance to you and will make the records available on a first come, first serve basis.
You may also register in order to obtain access to the records available online. You may have recourse to our research services by sending an official request on our e-mail address ( 

What records do you hold?

The National Archives is the custodian of the national collection of records which covers almost 300 years of history.
Please see our section on Holdings


Which records are available online?

We have some 500,000 manuscript pages which have been digitised and indexed. About 200,000 of these manuscript images and indexes are available online for consultation. 


Reprographic Service

How long does it take for photocopies to be made available?

Usually, photocopies are made available within the space of five working days, on a first come, first serve basis.

How much does it cost for Reprographic Services?

Our section on Repographic service provides information with regard to fees charged for photocopy fees

What types of records can be photocopied?

Reprographic services are provided at the National Archives for any records which are in good condition.


Which documents are required to carry-out genealogical research?

 Birth, marriage and death certificates are needed to trace-out information concerning family history.

These records contain information; such as date of registration, name of the person, district in which the person is born, register with folio numbers, among others.

The records in our holdings that are most commonly used to carry out genealogical research are the following:
- Civil status records, which include the Acts, are available for the period 1721-1810;
- Census Records are available from 1776 - 1835
- Ship Passengers' Arrival Lists;
- Naturalization Records; and
- Land Records. 

Which records are available at the National Archives with regard to land-ownership?

The Domanial or land records include the records concerning grants of land, title deeds of concessions, documents concerning crown lands, canals and rivers for the period 1726 - 1972.
Records concerning land-ownership after the period 1872 are found at the Ministry of Housing and Lands (Archives and Plans Section) and the Registrar General's Office.

Visiting the National Archives

​Who can visit the National Archives?

The National Archives is open to the public and is free to visit. The National Archives is opened to the public on weekdays from 9.30 to 3.00 p.m and on Saturdays as from 9.30 to 11.30 a.m. The National Archives is closed on Sundays and public holidays.